Digital cameras are so accessible now, that even some mobile phones come equipped with them. When you first start taking photos, it can sometimes be intimidating, as there appears to be too much to learn all at once. However, using and getting used to your camera is a simple and rather fun process, here are some thing you should consider when using your camera.
You will need
- Memory card
- Camera batteries and charger
- Enter the date and time when you initially use your camera or if the batteries have been removed or dead for an extended time. Date and time will organise your pictures and help you to locate and identify them later.
- Check camera settings on the control panel and in the viewfinder. Notice how many pictures you can take at the current settings and the status of the battery charge. Learn what the icons mean so if you change the settings, you will remember that you have done so and how to correct it.
- Most shutter buttons have two stages; to automatically set focus and exposure, press it halfway down. To take the picture, press it all the way down.
- To capture action shots, hold the button halfway down while focused on the scene. Pressing the button the rest of the way, will cause the camera to shoot immediately because focus and exposure have already been calculated.
- Check if the camera has a diopter adjustment that makes the viewfinder sharper if the viewfinder appears blurry.
- To take pictures, hold the camera in your right hand and support the camera or lens with your left. Do not block the flash, autofocus port, or lens.
- Most cameras have a tripod socket; this allows you to attach the camera to a tripod to get sharper pictures.
- Take as many shots of a given scene or subject as you can think of. Change positions, distances and angles, you may be surprised later at what works and what does not.
- When done shooting, turn the camera off and replace the lens cap.
- Open the battery or memory card access covers while an image is being saved. Doing so will not only damage the image being saved, it can also damage the memory card