Visual Styles is software used to modify and enhance the interface on a Windows PC.
You can customize the appearance by changing the colors, font styles, and sizes (the letters) to bring out your sense of style and individuality to your PC’s interface.
This article will provide you with the details for using this software effectively.
Things you will need
- A computer system
- Visual Styles
- Search for and download a program on the internet called Neowin UX Patcher. The best site to use a search engine would be Google. Once you have found it, download it and install it, this will modify your operating system so the Visual Style can be used. After it has been installed, restart the computer and log back on to your desktop.
- Download the Visual Styles software from the internet and when the download is complete, follow the given procedure and install the software.
- Make sure you back up the themes that were previously being shown so that at any time you decide to revert to your old themes they will be there. When this is complete go to the desktop and double click the Visual Styles shortcut icon or go to ‘Start’ then ‘Program Files’ and then to Visual Styles.
- Go back on the internet browser and search and download some Windows themes for the Visual Styles. Some styles you can search for are DevianArt, ThemeXP, and Neowin, just to name a few. Most likely once you find one, it will provide you with a listing of others with a preview of how they look.
- Browse through your computer starting from the ‘C’ drive and go to WindowsResourcesThemes. Once this location has been located, look for a file named msstyles and create a new folder with the exact name. Then move the theme files into this folder.
- Go to the desktop, right-click, and click on ‘Properties’ then select the ‘Appearance’ tab. Once you’re on this tab you will see a drop-down menu labeled, ‘Windows and buttons’. When you click into this option a set of options will display a list of the different themes that have been installed.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Do not make any other changes or modifications within the ‘Windows’ or ‘System32’ folders, this may lead to your Operating System malfunctioning if you are not sure of what you are doing.
- If the Neowin UX Patcher does not work, search the internet again for a file called ‘uxtheme.dll’ and replace the current uxtheme.dll in your system32 folder with the use of the program. Then restart the computer.