Ophcrack is a program used to recover lost Windows passwords.
Ophcrack hacks and cracks the Windows password LM hashes based on a time-memory trade-off using rainbow tables
Things you will need
- Ophcrack program
- Load the Ophcrack CD to the computer, install and run it.
- Click on Load and select the appropriate password LM (LAN Manager) hash to use or choose PWDUMP File if the hash was dumped and saved using pwdump2.
- Otherwise, choose encrypted SAM to allow Ophcrack to dump the hashes from the SAM and SYSTEM files retrieved from a Windows machine while booting on another disk.
- Click Tables, and select the location or folder to store the rainbow hash tables downloaded or installed by the installer.
- Select the type of tables you wish to use
- Click Launch to start the cracking process.
- You can use free table sets with Windows passwords that contain upper and lowercase letters and numbers.
- Use WebSec06 WS-20k table sets to crack passwords with special characters and mixed case letters.