LinkedIn is a social networking site developed specifically for business.
The site features business professionals as users who are there to market themselves and/or their companies by building relationships and contacts.
LinkedIn is useful in the exchange of ideas, information, and opportunities.
Things you will need
- Internet access
- Professional information on hand
- Access the site by going to www.linkedin.com
- Once the webpage loads go to the top of the page for options to learn about the site and become a member. It’s advised that you go to “What is LinkedIn” to learn about the site and its features before you join.
- When you are ready to sign up select the option that says “Join Today”. Enter your name in the respective name boxes, your email address, and a strong password of at least six characters.
- Create and complete your profile page by filling in the required information in the respective boxes. Ensure you include past companies, education, affiliations, and activities so it’s easier for you to make new connections.
- Once your profile is created begin to build your network. You can use the search option to look for people you know. Once you establish connections you can also view their connections for possibilities.
- Make the most of your connections by frequent productive interactions; ask questions, make recommendations and introductions and try to learn more about your professional network.
- Keep your profile updated with any changes such as a new job.
- LinkedIn can be used to help with job interviews. How? By doing a background check on your prospective company and prospective manager once they are a part of the LinkedIn network.
- Use LinkedIn to scope out competitors, customers, and partners.
- Utilize keywords that would help people with similar interests and aspirations to find you.
- Ensure your information is completely accurate.
- Try to keep your information as professional as possible.
- When building connections make sure they are worthwhile and not just connections to pump your numbers.
- If you want to be found via search engines ensure your profile is SEO-friendly by creating a public profile as opposed to private.
- When building your profile do not include contacts that will not want to be seen by others.
- Do not leave negative feedback on other user’s profiles.
- Do not spam.