Hijackthis is a tool used to remove spyware and browser hijackers. HijackThis can be downloaded as a standalone executable or as an installer.
The installer is recommended for use as it provides a safe location for Hijackthis backups. Read on to learn how to use this program.
Things you will need
- Hijackthis program
- Download Hijackthis to your computer, and save it to a desired folder.
- Go to the folder/location it was saved in. Look for the HJTInstall.exe file and double-click on it.
- When the installation box appears click on the install button to have Hijackthis into the C:Program FilesTrend MicroHijackThis folder
- Create a desktop shortcut.
- Launch Hijackthis to view the startup screen.
- Click the None of the above, just start the program button to go to the main screen
- Click on the Config button, and ensure all the checkboxes are ticked, except for showing the intro frame at startup and running Hijackthis scan at startup.
- Click the back button and then click the Scan button to begin scanning your computer
- You will see a listing of items, if you want to see information about any of the objects listed, click once on a listing, and then press the Info on the selected item… button.
- Select the items to be removed by ticking the checkbox beside each one.
- Press the Fixed Check button, then click Yes or No to confirm delete.
- To avoid the deletion of your backups, please save the executable to a specific folder before running it
- When using the standalone version you should not run it from your Temporary Internet Files folder as your backup folder will not be saved after you close the program