Diatomaceous Earth is the name of a natural product made from microscopic fossil water plants.
It is the skeletal remains of one-celled plants called diatoms. Two types of Diatomaceous Earth are processed differently, pool filter grade is chemically treated and partially melted and natural grade is mined, milled, and processed into a powdery substance used for insecticides.
The natural grade Diatomaceous Earth is ideal for use in homes, greenhouses, gardens, and on varied types of plants.
Things you will need
- Diatomaceous Earth
- Dust mask
- Goggles – if used regularly and in large quantities
- Ensure you are in protective gear before handling diatomaceous earth.
- When used as an insecticide food grade diatomaceous earth kills the insect by puncturing its body with razor-sharp edges.
- Feed-grade diatomaceous earth can be used for de-worming livestock and is mixed with their food. Give the animal one feeding then check stool for parasites the next day. Ensure stool is discarded safely.
- To treat lawn infected with parasites mix the diatomaceous earth with sand and apply it as you would a fertilizer. Water after.
- Use a dispenser to apply diatomaceous earth when treating plants and flowers, covering from root to leaves. Appl