Diatomaceous Earth is the name of a natural product made from microscopic fossil water plants. It is the skeletal remains of one-celled plants called diatoms. There are two types of Diatomaceous Earth which are processed differently, pool filter grade is chemically treated and partially melted whilst and natural grade is mined, milled and processed into a powdery substance used for insecticides. The natural grade Diatomaceous Earth is ideal for use in homes, greenhouses, gardens and on varied types of plants.
Things you will need
- Diatomaceous Earth
- Dust mask
- Goggles – if used regularly and in large quantities
- Ensure you are in protective gear before handling diatomaceous earth.
- When used as an insecticide food grade diatomaceous earth kills the insect by puncturing its body with razor sharp edges.
- Feed grade diatomaceous earth can be used for de-worming livestock and is mixed with their food. Give the animal one feeding then check stool for parasites the next day. Ensure stool is discarded safely.
- To treat lawn infected with parasites mix the diatomaceous earth with sand and apply it as you would a fertilizer. Water after.
- Use a dispenser to apply diatomaceous earth when treating plants and flowers, covering from root to leaves. Appl