The iPod mini is a smaller, less expensive version of the regular iPod that was released in early 2004. The iPod Mini like all iPods is a digital audio player designed and marketed by Apple Inc. Today, the iPod Mini is discontinued and has been replaced by later models called the iPod Nano. However, if you have an iPod Mini in working condition, it can still be used.
To use the iPod Mini on a Macintosh computer, you will need
A Macintosh with built-in FireWire
6-pin FireWire 400 port
Mac OS X v10.15 or later
iTunes 4.2 or later
To use the iPod Mini on a Windows computer, you will need
- Windows PC with 500 MHz or higher processor speed
- Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4, or windows XP Home or Professional
- iTunes 4.2 or later
- iPod software (included on the iPod mini CD)
- Built in 6-pin FireWire card installed, or a built-in high-power USB 2.0 port or a high-power USB 2.0 card installed
Setting up iPod Mini to play music
- Charge the battery; connect the iPod mini to the iPod Power Adapter using the iPod Dock Connector to FireWire Cable. The built-in battery is 80% charged in about an hour, and fully charged in about four hours.
- Install the software; insert the iPod mini CD into your computer and install iTunes and the iPod software.
- Import music to your computer; complete this step if you haven’t already transferred music to your computer. You can import music from your audio CDs, or if you have an internet connection, you can buy music online and download it to your computer using the iTunes Music Store.
- To import music to your computer from an audio CD: insert a CD into your computer. iTunes opens automatically and the CD is selected in the iTunes Source list. Uncheck songs you don’t want to transfer then click import.
- Connect iPod mini to computer using one of the two included cables. Ensure the connectors on both ends of the cable are oriented correctly.
- When the song transfer is complete, disconnect iPod mini from the computer. Squeeze both sides of the dock connector to disconnect the cable from iPod mini.
Using iPod mini controls
- Use the Click Wheel and Select button to navigate through onscreen menus, play songs, change settings, and view information.
- Move your thumb lightly around the Click Wheel to highlight a menu item. Press the Select button to select the item. Press Menus on the Click Wheel to go back to the previous menu.
- If you are carrying the iPod mini in your pocket and don’t want to start the controls or turn it on accidentally, you can make the controls inactive by setting the hold switch on hold.