A webcam is a computer compatible video capture device. It is directly connected to a computer or network with a usb port, Wi-Fi or Ethernet. It is largely used for video telephony or as a videophone. It may also be used to record video files, or for photographic purposes. The webcam works with multiple software programs, devices and applications to produce the specified function of the webcam. It is also a great way to connect people. It elicits the added benefit of personalizing contact through enabling video capture of the persons using it. There are issues with privacy that easily surface when using a webcam. Images that are captured while the user is unaware have happened occasionally. There are also instances where webcam output has become the source of public humiliation when the information is shared via the internet. Caution is therefore necessary when using a webcam to avoid moments of absolute mortification. However, the benefits of using the webcam clearly outweigh the minor disadvantages. Installing and using the webcam are processes that will be enacted with varying degrees of difficulty or ease depending on the prefered use of the webcam.
Things You Will Need
- Compliant Software
- Functional Computer
- Install the accompanying software so the computer will detect and allow use of the webcam.
- The webcam should be purchased with a guide to install the webcam with the compliant software.
- There are some webcams that have other hardware devices which will need additional time to install.
- Position the camera to the desired area of capture.
- The image projected from the webcam will not be very detailed because of an inferior lens.
- It will not capture movement perfectly nor will the video quality be exceptional.
- Determine the best angle based on the specifics of camera and subject location.
- The viewing range is not particularly long so it is best to get as close to the webcam as is possible without compromising your appearance on the webcam.
- The setup time will vary according to the require application of the webcam.
- Once the installation is complete the computer will be able to use it for the recording of videos and images. To broadcast the output on the internet there are a few general steps that may be used.
- Initialize a web server to host the webcam output for internet transmission.
- Configure the webcam and corresponding software to transfer the output to a single data stream.
- Identify the webpage that will be used to transmit the output.
- Upload the webpage and data stream to the web-server.
- You are officially ready to broadcast.
- The steps will need to be altered to conform to the type of broadcast being used.
- For different applications additional software or downloads will be required.
Do’s and Dont’s
- Don’t leave the Webcam on if you don not intend to capture images at certain times.
- For additional security you may opt to remove the webcam from the connection to the computer to avoid unwanted capture when not in use.