The explosion of the internet has forever changed how information is accessed transferred and delivered throughout the world.
The internet allows people from all different distinctions and regional settings to access an unlimited resource of information through the click of a mouse button.
A search engine is just one of the tools that assist in this process. A search engine is used to source information on a particular topic through an internet database by listing a group of websites that have information on a similar topic.
Use this article as your guide to take advantage of search engines.
Things you will need
- A computer
- An Internet connection
- Web Browser
- Secure that you have an internet connection to begin with. This may be accessed at home through an internet service provider, from a public wireless connection like a library or a friend’s home.
- Most computers and operating systems already have preinstalled web browsers installed onto them. On Windows Operating System there is Internet Explorer and on Mac Computers there is Safari. You may also download other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox on either operating system if you desire other flexible options for internet browsing.
- Find a list of internet sites that are used as search engines. The most popular of these is Google (www.google.com). You may also use yahoo.com, bing.com, and answers.com just to name a few. Sometimes depending on what you are researching, some websites are recommended more than others. For example, if you are searching for certain multimedia such as movies and movies, singingfish.com would be recommended.
- Once you have accessed one or more of these search engines, enter the topic name of what you would like to research and press enter or use the mouse click ok on the browser. This will produce a list of different websites that have the topic you are searching for. When searching, try to be as specific as possible because search engines are sensitive to keywords. This means it will display articles containing one or more of the words in different articles by themselves.
- Choose several sites to gather your information from to make sure the information has strong support. Then read through each site to get the information you would like. When you have found it you can arrive at your conclusion about the topic and its relevance to you.
Do’s and Don’ts
- It is recommended that you use a group of sites to get information on whatever topic you search. The validity of the article is increased when more websites back the information you have received.
- Do not use search engines to look for anything to cause harm or damage to an individual.