Fire is the most common serious hazard that can be faced on a daily basis. While proper precaution can minimise the chances of an accidental fire, being prepared to deal with a fire emergency should it occur, is invaluable. A fire extinguisher is necessary in kitchens, public spaces and ideally, households. Knowing how to use a fire extinguisher is a skill that can save lives and valuable possessions.
You will need
- Fire extinguisher
- Hold extinguisher upright.
- Remove plastic safety tie from handle.
- Pull pin from handle.
- Aim nozzle low
- Hold firmly and squeeze handle till it starts spraying.
- Point the stream at the base of the fire and move in, staying a safe distance.
- Sweep stream across the base of the fire.
- Continue spraying and sweeping until the fire is completely out.
- Replace or recharge your extinguisher at the earliest opportunity.
- Remember PASS; that is: Pulls, Aim, Squeeze and Sweep.
- Keep your fire extinguisher handy.
- Place your fire extinguisher too near to the area of a potential fire.