Fire is the most common serious hazard that can be faced daily. While proper precaution can minimize the chances of an accidental fire, being prepared to deal with a fire emergency should it occur, is invaluable.
A fire extinguisher is necessary in kitchens, public spaces, and ideally, households. Knowing how to use a fire extinguisher is a skill that can save lives and valuable possessions.
You will need
- Fire extinguisher
- Hold the extinguisher upright.
- Remove the plastic safety tie from the handle.
- Pull the pin from the handle.
- Aim nozzle low
- Hold firmly and squeeze the handle till it starts spraying.
- Point the stream at the base of the fire and move in, staying a safe distance.
- Sweep stream across the base of the fire.
- Continue spraying and sweeping until the fire is completely out.
- Replace or recharge your extinguisher at the earliest opportunity.
- Remember PASS; that is Pulls, Aim, Squeeze, and Sweep.
- Keep your fire extinguisher handy.
- Place your fire extinguisher too near to the area of a potential fire.