The BlackBerry Storm touch screen cell phone is among the most popular smart phones on the market. Offering internet access, GPS Navigation and word processing software, the BlackBerry storm has become a staple amongst users who value basic PC features packaged into a small portable phone.
You will need
- BlackBerry Storm Cell Phone
Setting up the BlackBerry Storm
- Insert sim card and battery.
- Fully charge the battery.
- Turn on the phone.
- Follow the “Set Up Wizard” steps to customise your settings and preferences.
- Create or add an e-mail account to your BlackBerry Storm.
- When in doubt, choose the red question mark icon on the main screen.
Practice using the touch screen
- To move the cursor on the screen, move your finger around on the screen.
- To highlight something, touch the screen.
- To select something, click on it.
- To view your screen in portrait view, hold it normally; it will display a selection of icons.
- To view your screen in landscape view, hold the phone horizontally; all menu options and application choices will be displayed.
- When making a selection from the menu, click on the menu again if the right item is selected. This makes menu selections quicker.
- If the screen cannot display everything at the same time, you have the option of scrolling down or up instead of moving the cursor with your hand; tap the arrows to scroll up and down.
- In portrait view use either the multi-tap keyboard or SureType, which predicts words as you type them.
- In landscape view, use virtual keyboard which is similar to a computer keyboard in its layout.
- You can add your own words to the SureType dictionary; it will also automatically add words from emails you receive.
- The QWERTY keyboard glows in the dark and features larger letters that the standard multi-tap keyboard; each letter you touch will glow in the dark.
- Typing on the virtual QWERTY keyboard generally takes a bit longer than a typical QWERTY keyboard on a cell phone.
- Pressing a couple seconds longer on a letter will offer alternative versions of it, such as international letters.
- Type a phone number and press the green phone icon.
- To end call, press the red phone icon.
- To mute a call, press the ‘Mute’ key. To end mute, click the ‘Mute’ key again.
- To turn on speakerphone, press Menu? Activate Speakerphone.
- Press Menu? Activate Headset to turn it off.
Accessing the Internet
- The BlackBerry Storm provides access to the internet through your cell phone carrier’s network and does not have Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Sign up for a BlackBerry Internet Package to use the internet and email features.
- To access the internet if the search field is not open, press Menu?Go To and type the search term.
- Press Enter.
- Press Menu and Back or Forward to move between web pages.
- Press Menu and Stop to stop loading a web page.
- Press Menu and Link Address or Image Address to find out the address of a link or image.
- To play video or audio on a webpage, click on the link and then choose open.
Using the Camera
- Press the camera icon.
- The screen will become your viewfinder; zoom in or out by sliding your finger across the screen.
- The focus indicator will turn green when autofocus is complete.
- Push the screen to take the picture.
- Save pictures in the Storm’s internal memory or on a media card.
- Access the GPS menu through Advanced Options?GPS?Menu.
- Select Refresh GPS to display your current latitude and Longitude.
- Get to know your BlackBerry Storm and its various features.
- Read your user manual.